Ontario Immigration Nominee Program 2020
How To Apply Under Ontario Immigration Nominee Program?
Ontario is one of Canada’s most highly populated provinces. Nearly 40 % of the country’s population lives in this state making it a vital destination for refugees and a point of interest. The province’s booming economy fulfills the wishes of prospective candidates offering them a life they’ve fantasized about.
OINP works directly with Canada’s Express Entry Program to recruit qualified employees with proven skills as well as job experience to contribute positively to the local and national economy.
The four major categories through which Ontario PNP accepts immigration applications are:
- Ontario Express Entry
- Ontario General Category
- International Student Category
- Business Category
1) Ontario Express Entry
The Ontario Express Entry Program aligns with the Express Entry System of the federal government and aims to select potential candidates who may contribute to Canada’s economy. In Ontario, candidates with required skills, credentials and work experience related to the occupation mentioned are in high demand.
Immigration aspirants can start the process by creating an Express Entry profile and registering their interest in the system within the province of Ontario. Authorities of the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) will contact the individual after evaluating their credentials via Express Entry.Later, Ontario officials invite applicants to apply for immigration. The nomination credential, after obtaining Ontario PNP, allows candidates to increase their score by 600 points under Express Entry under the Comprehensive Ranking System ( CRS). In the next Express Entry draw, candidates with good score in Express Entry Canada CRS points obtain an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
Ontario Express Entry is subdivided further into two categories:
- Human Capital Priorities Stream
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream
Human Capital Priorities Stream
Under this program candidates with required skills, credentials, and work experience can apply. This stream helps the candidates work and be in line with the job market in Ontario. Since this program has limited seats, OINP nominates only potential candidates who have qualified Express Entry Pool (CIC) for Citizenship and Immigration.
Once applications of candidates are picked from Express Entry Pool, they receive a Notification of Interest (NOI) and are advised to apply under OINP Human Capital Priorities Stream within 45 days.
Eligibility criteria for Human Capital Priorities Stream:
- Candidates need to have a minimum of 400 points on CRS. Higher score maximizes candidate nomination chances
- Candidates must have sufficient job experience in their desired area of employment
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s, Master’s, Ph.D. or any other such credential of equal rank. In addition, candidates should also have an Educational Credential Assessment report prepared by experts to determine whether the educational qualifications of the applicant are comparable to the Canadian Education System.
- A CLB score of 7 in all four categories (listening, speaking , reading and writing) is a must
- A candidate must meet the appropriate FSWP or CEC requirements
French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream
The OINP (Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program) French Speaking Skilled Worker Stream, aligned with Canada’s Express Entry System, allows prospective French-speaking candidates to immigrate to Ontario. Potential immigrants may receive a Notification of Interest (NOI) from the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program and must apply within 30 days for this program.
Eligibility criteria for French-speaking Skilled Worker Stream:
- A candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, Ph.D. degree or an equivalent along with an ECA Report (Education Credential Assessment)
- A candidate must score a CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) score of 7 or above in French and, 6 and above in English in all the four categories (listening, speaking, reading, and writing)
- Candidates applying via FSWP must have at least 1 year of paid work experience in the last 5 years in the NOC class O, A or B
- A candidate must have enough funds to survive in Ontario
- An applicant must be willing to stay in Ontario
2) International Students Category
This program has been designed for international students eligible to apply for permanent residency in Ontario who are studying in Canadian universities. Three streams are further categorized as:
- International students with Job Offer Stream
- International Students Master Graduate System
- International Students Ph.D. Graduate System
This stream is popular among graduates from University of Western Ontario (UWO), Brock University, University of Toronto (UofT), University of Ottawa, York University, Ryerson University, University of Waterloo (UofW), University of Windsor, McMaster University, University of Guelph, Wilfred Laurier University (WLU), Queen’s University and Carleton University.
International students with Job Offer Stream
This Ontario PNP program has been designed to help Ontario employers provide job opportunities for international students in the province. To apply to this program there are certain conditions that must be met:
- A applicant must have already graduated from a publicly funded college or university in Canada, or will be graduating soon.
- A applicant must have completed a full-time 2-year degree or diploma, or a post-graduate degree or certificate programme. The previous degree can be received in the latter case from Canada or abroad.
- A candidate must have a permanent full-time work offer under NOC levels O, A or B. Opportunities Ontario also allows an employer to request an application.
- The candidate’s application should be submitted no later than two years from the date on which they received their Canadian degree or diploma. It can be submitted as early as the candidate’s last semester of studies.
- A candidate should have legal status while residing in Canada that needs an employer’s ‘Joint Verification Form and Pre-Screen Place’ form.
International Master Graduate Stream
OINP Master Graduate Stream is a pilot program that accepts currently only 1000 applications. Students seeking to apply for this program do not need a job offer but they should meet the eligibility requirements as follows:
- They must be graduated with a master’s degree from a publicly-funded college or university in Canada
- They should have completed one academic year in Canada on a full-time basis.
- They must have a high level of proficiency in French and English.
- They can not apply 2 years later from the date they got their master’s degree.
- They have to have enough funds in Canada to support them.
- They should be intent on staying in Ontario.
- They should have a legal right of residing in Canada. Asylum seekers and refugee claimants are not eligible for this programme
International Ph.D. Stream
Students who have obtained Ph.D. degrees from any of Ontario’s publicly funded universities can apply to this program. They do not need a job offer but should meet certain eligibility criteria and requirements:
- The application submitted should be made no later than 2 years after obtaining their Ph.D.
- In Canada the applicant must have a legal status of living.
- They should be graduating from an existing Ph.D. program at one of Ontario’s publicly funded universities.
3) Ontario Corporate Stream
The Ontario Corporate Stream was launched in 2015 and helps to establish and support global entities involved in expanding business in Ontario.This stream allows for the nomination of key employees of foreign establishments for Canadian permanent resident status under the Corporate Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program after successfully developing business model in Ontario.Such main employees can obtain two-year temporary work permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) before being eligible for the Canada PR status.The Ontario PNP works with business firms and organizations that for Ontario businesses identify output goals and timelines. Successful provincial nominations for key staff members depend on those commitments being fulfilled. Within this stream a maximum of five employees can be nominated.
Eligibility criteria for Ontario Corporate Stream:
- The business company must invest $5 million or more in established or new Ontario businesses
- Five permanent or full-time employment for Canadian citizens or five nominations for Canada PR must be produced under this category
- Nominated staff will be given two years to clear the English language test according to nomination requirements
- In the last three years the business establishment should have a proven track record
4) Ontario Entrepreneur Stream
This path, which started in 2015, was launched to help young international entrepreneurs scale up old business or set up a start-up in Ontario. Under this process, entrepreneurs can be eligible for permanent Canadian residency after successfully establishing the company.
In order to qualify under this stream, the entrepreneur / candidate must own and manage at least 33.3 per cent share of equity in the business plan.Officials on Immigration Ontario will review all proposals to evaluate the viability of proposed business plans. Candidates must request a performance agreement that outlines key investment and job creation goals to be reached within 24 months.Within the City of Toronto, Halton, Durham, York or Peel areas, the Ontario Immigrant Candidate Program considers start-ups and companies to be based in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
Eligibility criteria for Ontario Entrepreneur Stream:
- In Ontario, candidates must make a minimum investment of $500,000
- Candidates must have a net worth of $800,000. If the company is based in the Greater Toronto Area the minimum net value should be $1,500,000 in Digital Media or ICT-related barring company.
- Creation of two permanent or full-time job vacancies for permanent or citizens of Canada
- In order to receive Canada PR nomination from the Province of Ontario, the entrepreneur and his or her business partner (if applicable) should meet all requirements within 24 months
- A prospective candidate must have a senior management or company ownership experience of three or more years in the last five years
Ontario Nominee Program Processing Time
The processing time for the Ontario Nominee Program depends on the path chosen for Canada immigration by the applicant. If the applicant wishes to immigrate through the stream of human capital priorities linked to Ontario Express Entry, then the application processing takes two to three months.Faster application processing, however, depends on the accuracy of documents submitted, as well as other credentials.
Candidates for Ontario PNP Express Entry may also track their application for PR status online via the federal system.Ontario PNP does not have a fixed deadline because the applications are accepted and reviewed throughout the year. Please note that the Ontario Express Entry and Ontario Nominee Program requirements can change, without notice, at any time.
Working in collaboration with an qualified immigration specialist is helpful in keeping updated on Ontario PNP requirements and growing chances of obtaining Canadian visas.